Agenda: Monday, March 22nd, 2010
* Analyze both the positive & negative effects of the Industrial Revolution. Was industrialization ultimately good for society? Why or why not?
The Industrial Revolution began in the late eighteenth century and turned Great Britain into the first and the richest industrialized nation. A series of technological advances caused Great Britain to become a leader in the production of cotton, coal, and iron. After the introduction of the first steampowered locomotives, railroad tracks were laid across Great Britain, reducing the cost of shipping goods.
* The Industrial Revolution spread to Europe and North America. In the United States, the railroad
made it possible to sell manufactured goods from the Northeast across the country.
* The Industrial Revolution had a tremendous social impact in Europe. Cities grew quickly, and an
industrial middle class emerged. The industrial working class, meanwhile, dealt with wretched
working conditions. These conditions gave rise to socialism, a movement aimed at improving
working conditions through government control of the means of production.
1. Current Events - Discuss the Health Care law. Show video clips of John Boehner, Nancy Pelosi, and President Barack Obama discussing the new law.
2. Introduce Ch. 19 and 20 Industrial Revolution. Pass out Targets. Discuss what a DBQ is.
3. Notes Chapter 19 and 20 Industrial Revolution.
Due this Friday - Homework questions
Due next Tuesday - Essay for the project
Next Wed/Thu - DBQ in class on Chapters 19 and 20